Now that we are in winter i know a lot of people will turn to braids as a protective style. Its a great idea, we all know during winter the weather gets harsh and this usually is a bad thing for our hair. But just because you have braids doesn’t mean you just sit and do nothing to your hair NO NO. That is a huge mistake. Our hair still needs love even in braids. Here are some quick tips on what to do when you have braids.
1. Do not get braids that are too tight. This is the enemy of progress! tight braids put strain on your hair especially your hairline. Im not saying get loose braids but just don’t let someone pull your hair too tight.
2. Dont keep them in too long. When you keep your braids too long your hair becomes matted and this makes it very hard to detangle when you take your braids out and hence there is a lot of breakage. There is really no need for you to be having your braids in for more than 3 months.
3. Wash your hair. You still need to be taking care of your hair even though it is in braids. Deep condition and treat your hair regularly when you have braids. Braids can start smelling after a while, you need to get rid of the smell and product build up as well. Shampoo only the roots of your hair. If you cannot do it yourself get your hairdresser to do it for you.
4. Keep your scalp moisturised especially your hairline. Oil your scalp just as regularly as you would when you have your hair out. This reduces itchiness and dryness.
5. Wrap your head when you are sleeping. Braids are long and it is easy to get them caught up while you’re sleeping. You wouldn’t want huge chunks of braids to fall out with your hair.