How to use coconut oil
As i discussed in my previous post coconut oil is simply magic for hair, but of course for you to get the best out of it you have to know how to use it. Lets take a look at 8 ways to use coconut oil
1. Deep conditioner. Coconut oil is a perfect deep conditioner because of its ability to penetrate the hair shaft so the longer you sit with it in your hair the better it works to your hair’s benefit. You can add this to your favourite conditioner during your deep conditioning treatment or you can follow this simple hot oil deep conditioning treatment. Wash your hair with a sulphate free shampoo. Take your coconut oil plus 1 or 2 other oils of your choice, put them in a glass blow and warm them up over a pot of boiling water, make sure the oils do not get hot or boiling hot because the heat can break down the oils. Put the mixture of oils in your hair making sure than you cover the hair from root to tip. Cover with a shower cap and sit it out for an hr or more if you have time. Then you can go ahead and rinse out thoroughly.
2. Pre-poo. Pre pooing is basically just preparing your hair for the harsh process of shampooing. Coconut oil helps to protect the hair and it also helps to detangle before you start shampooing. To pre poo just section your hair into 4 and apply your coconut oil section by section covering the hair from root to tip thoroughly. For maximum result put a shower can over your hair and sleep overnight with this pre poo. If you cant sleep overnight sit for at least an hour before you go ahead and wash your hair.
3. Sealant. Coconut oil works great to seal moisture into your hair. Whenever you moisturise your hair you want to make sure you seal in all that moisture otherwise it will just evaporate as quickly as you put it. If you are moisturising your scalp or your hair follow up with coconut oil.
4. Dandruff. Coconut oil is great for dandruff. If you have problems with dandruff apply coconut oil to your scalp and massage for 5 to 10 minutes at least twice and week. Massaging your head helps with blood circulation this in turn help with hair growth and prevents the scalp from getting dry
5. Frizz/ Split ends. If you are having problems with split ends or frizz coconut oil helps by penetrating your hair and controlling frizz and split ends. Put coconut oil on your ends and also rub your hair with coconut oil when you are styling.
6. Hair growth. The molecules in coconut oil are very small and this makes it a penetrative oil. This is good news for hair because when the oil easily penetrates the hair shaft and works with the natural hair proteins, the result is stronger hair that is able to withstand quite a bit of damage. Hence the added bonus of retaining length. Learn to incorporate coconut oil in as many stages of your hair regimen as possible for optimum results
7. Moisturiser. Coconut oil can help to stimulate proper circulation on the scalp and keep it moisturized. Dont forget that putting coconut oil on your hair just like that does not moisturise your hair, always put a water based moisturiser before you add your coconut oil.
8. Shine and styling.Coconut oil adds shine and luster to dull looking hair. Dab a little bit onto your hair before styling.